Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hike to Phajoding Monastery

Today, Mona and I did a 3 hour hike (one way) to the Phajoding Monastery.  I thought we were going to walk up a steep hill, get to the top, then turn around.  Once again, Mona and I began our day not knowing what lay ahead and walking straight up the side of a mountain.  Of note, yesterday was the steep climb to Tiger's Nest and today involved another strenuous climb.  Cheers to Mona!

Mona and I enjoy seeing the cute dogs around town but we don't touch them-- they've never been bathed and carry fleas.  Well, it's been two weeks and we can't help but feel attached!  These two followed us for about two hours until some pack animals scared them away.




 The black one really liked Mona


So snuggly!



As we were getting higher up in elevation we saw a herd of wild yaks grazing.  If you make them mad they will attack.  Your defense is to run as fast as you can and climb a tree.   I never got a clear answer as to what it means to make a yak mad so I avoided eye contact.  It worked!  Good thing cause me running and climbing a tree.....



See our little dog friend on the right side, staying out of the way?  It was one of these pack animals who charged both our dogs.  We never saw them again  ) :




We could see the old monastery ahead and as we were entering I heard our names being called by a monk I never met:



Turns out he is Lama Namgay, the monastery's head teacher.  Ngaire our neighbor knew we were hiking to Phajoding and texted the Lama (yes, a strange statement).  He greeted us, showed us around and fed us a full lunch!!!!  Lunch included about half a thermos of tea, 2 huge servings of rice, potatoes, chili's, tomatoes, and cheese.  I had to unbutton my pants I ate so much.  Very good!

  

Mona really liked her fork



The student monks looking at Mona's iPad.  This monastery is for underprivileged boys, many of whom are orphaned.  In speaking to one of the boys, I found he lost both his parents.  







Their soccer field-- hate to over kick a ball here!





This monastery was built in the 13th century and houses some of the most sacred Buddhist artifacts.  In one of the buildings, associates of Oxford University are digitally archiving ancient scripts:




Entrance Sign:



Overall, Mona and I were unexpectedly touched by the hospitality and gentleness we discovered at our destination.  Lama Namgay has devoted his life to bettering the lives of these children.  All the kids were happy, educated, and loved.  It's a place you hope exists.

(donations accepted)

2 comments:

  1. So touching and beautiful. I especially like the pic of my mom and the monks...she's so cute! Thank you so very much for providing these stories and pictures, Molly! I love love love the pictures with the doggies, I would want to adopt all of them, fleas and all. Hope you too are enjoying your time in such an amazing country.
    Stephanie, #3 daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify... you said you never touch the dogs, yet there is a picture of one in your lap?? Um.... (you know how I love dogs!). - Denise

    ReplyDelete